We are writing to let you know about an exciting whole-school event which will be taking place in the summer term. As a school, pupils, staff and governors will be taking part in a ‘celebration walk’ on Friday 24th June.
We have decided that this year we would like to raise funds to purchase a defibrillator which will be placed on the school gates to serve our school and the local community. I am sure you will agree that this is a much-needed piece of equipment to provide lifesaving support should the need arise. We are hoping to raise, via sponsorship, in the region of £2000 to purchase, install and maintain the unit.
The walk is designed to be relatively challenging so that children can feel a sense of achievement upon completion, in line with our school ethos – INSPIRE. EMPOWER. ACHIEVE.
There are three walks taking place across the course of the day so that we can cater for every child’s ability and most importantly, ensure that all children experience success! The whole school will be meeting at lunchtime to sit down together and eat, before continuing the final leg of their journey back to school. Maps of the planned journeys can be found attached to this letter. The three walks taking place are:
- Stadium of Light à School – a distance of approximately 10 miles
- Stadium of Light à South Marine Park – a distance of approximately 7.5 miles
- South Shields à Marsden (and back) – a distance of approximately 5 miles
It is really important that children are properly equipped for this walk so that they are comfortable and avoid injury. Please ensure that your child has the following:
- Comfortable and supportive walking shoes/trainers – these should be suitably ‘worn’ to avoid blisters.
- Suitable socks – mid-length sports socks are ideal (not trainer socks).
- Packed lunch and waterbottle – this will be eaten over the course of the day so please try to ensure your child’s packed lunch can be split across two to three little meals (high energy foods/slow release carbohydrates).
- Backpack with two shoulder straps – children will be required to be self-sufficient and carry their own equipment throughout the day, a comfortable backpack is very important.
- Cap & sun cream – staff will be paying close attention to the weather forecast in the lead up to this event. From here, we will be in a position to best inform parents of the best clothing choice for children.
Preparation walks are something you may wish to complete as a family outside of school. We would love to see photos of children completing training walks outside of school, please email these to [email protected]academy.co.uk and we will celebrate this within school! Alternatively, if you post your photos on social media, use the hashtag #MONKTONMILERS to help us raise the profile of this challenge.
To help us collate the responses quickly and efficiently, we would appreciate if you could complete the online Google Form provided on our school website, the app or our school Facebook. Paper copies can be made available for those who require it.
We hope you will support your child in this fantastic fundraising cause.
Please see below for link to form –
Miss Sheriff & Mrs Moat