Dear Parents and Carers,
This is just to update you on the situation after yesterday’s decision by the government to close schools at very short notice for children whose parents aren’t keyworkers or classed as vulnerable. We have been really busy making school ready for children who will be returning to school tomorrow and preparing remote learning packs for those children who are not.
If your child is returning to school tomorrow:
- Your child will stay in their present year group bubble and be taught by their year group teachers on a weekly rota basis. The other teacher is responsible for remote learning for those children not at school.
- Children will be taught a normal curriculum and we will run a normal school day.
- Routines for the children will stay the same. The children will arrive and leave school at their normal times and entrances.
- Children will need to wear normal school uniform and bring P.E kits.
- Lunchtime arrangements are the same.
- Please ensure your child brings their P.E kits on Monday and take it home on Friday to be washed.
- Please make us aware of any Covid illness in the family as soon as possible.
If your child is not at school and accessing remote learning:
- Remote learning packs are being prepared. They will follow the same curriculum as those children who are in school. Remote Learning packs will include a daily schedule of learning activities. These will include English, Maths and other curriculum activities. There will be paper activities, platform learning online learning (including Times Tables Rockstars, Spelling Shed, Reading Planet and Reading Plus for Y5 and Y6 pupils). We will also be using Google Classroom as an online learning platform. A 2 week timetable will be included with full instructions and relevant teaching points. This will be refreshed every 2 weeks.
- One of the year group teachers will be responsible for the remote learning experience and will be contactable daily from 9am – 3pm via Google Classroom. This is accessed via our website. Parents are encouraged to use this platform from 2.30pm if they have any questions or queries regarding remote learning. Feedback to pupils will also be given using this platform.
- Home Learning will be available to download for each year group from today on the school App, Facebook page, website and Principals blog.
- Packed lunches will be available for any child receiving Free School Meals, but must be picked up from school. Please let us know of any requirements.
- School learning packs can be picked up from school from Thursday morning. If not collected, they will be delivered to the relevant address. If you need any relevant resources, please let school know.
- Class teachers will be in contact with any parents whose child is undertaking remote learning at least every 2 weeks by phone, in addition to any online contact.
- If you think your child maybe eligible for a school place during lockdown, please get in touch with school.
Can I thank you for all your patience and understanding during this difficult time. It is never easy to arrange significant school changes at such short notice. We have learnt from children’s previous experiences from similar lockdowns and now offer a better educational offer. We are here to support all families during this difficult time but are also aware that things change at such short notice. It can never be easy if parents are working from home or are looking after siblings as well as trying to support other children with their remote learning. We have tried to make our remote learning packs take account of this. If you need anything, please let us know, especially if this is ICT support. We are open everyday with nearly all staff within school. Unfortunately, we cannot accept all children at this time due to government restrictions.
However, we still aim to provide memorable moments all day, everyday for everyone whether or not they are in school.
Please take care of all your loved ones and we hope to see you in the very near future.
Steve Bowler and all the staff and governors at Monkton Academy